[NTG-pdftex] Re: Patch ShellEscape

Hans Hagen pragma@wxs.nl
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:53:04 +0200

At 19:23 13/07/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 07:22:06PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > i have problems with the not that name compatible:
> >
> >   \shellescape
> >   \write18
> >
> > so if a dedicated name would be used, we would either have something:
> >
> >   \shellescape{some command}
> >   \shellescapemode == number
>
>This would be the cleanest solution, without that magic nasty "18".
>But I fear, nobody will have the courage to extend standard TeX
>in this sense.
>
>An alternative for \shellescapemode could be a \if switch:
>   \ifshellescape
>
> > or (considering it a channel)
> >
> >   \write18
> >   \ifeof18

yet another option is to ask peter breitenlohner to add the \shell...
commands to etex or if that does not happen, to add them as alternatives to
pdftex (in addition to the \ifeof18's) and then discuss the option to add
them to etex some time later (there are a few more pdftex features that may
be interesting to move to etex)

also, since i suppose that you need it for hyperref, you can use the pdftex
version number (or just test for another new pdftex primitive that is
introduced at the same time as \ifeof18); in a year from now we may expect
users who use 'modern things' like write 18 to have updated anyway

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl