[NTG-pdftex] Tracking Bugs, Patches and Feature Requests

Martin Schroeder ms@artcom-gmbh.de
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:21:46 +0200

On 2003-07-09 09:32:46 -0400, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 12:24 09/07/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >the pdfTeX project needs a system for tracking bugs, patches and
> >feature requests (whenever I integrate all the latest patches and
> >look for open bugs I fear I forget one).
> >
> >We could of course set up the needed software by ourself, but
> >there are already places that offer the needed services. I did a
> >quick survey:
> >- Sourceforge (http://sf.net):
> >    - Tracker for bugs, support requests, patches, feature requests
> >    - Limited to OSI-compatible software (which pdfTeX is)
> >- Savannah (savannah.nongnu.org):
> >    - Tracker for bugs, support requests, patches
> >    - Limited to GPL-compatible software (which pdfTeX is)
> >    - Emphasises on freeness
> >- Berlios (berlios.de):
> >    - Tracker for bugs, support requests, patches
> >    - Not limited to OSI-compatible software (which pdfTeX is)
> >    - It seems you can't automatically get mail about new
> >      bugs/patches
> >    - Management is german
> >
> >It seems Sourceforge is offering the most with the least strings
> >attached.
> >
> >I propose we set up pdfTeX at Sourceforge in the near future
> >(post-Hawaii) for project management but keep the sources in the
> >p4 repository at DANTE/TeXlive (it works perfectly).
> >
> >Comments?
>
> maybe we schould discuss this at the next dante meeting; if i remember
> right Thomas Koch has been talking to Berlios people already about setting
> up something for tex projects, so we should investigate that option in mode
> detail, i.e. pdftex can then be the first project there

IIRC the move for Berlios is mainly because Sourceforge and
Savannah accept only OSI-compatible software, which (currently)
rules out everything licensed under the LPPL, while Berlios is
not so dogmatic (they host pdftex.def).

Thomas?

Best regards
        Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, MS@ArtCom-GmbH.DE
     ArtCom GmbH, Lise-Meitner-Str 5, 28359 Bremen, Germany