[NTG-context] Heisenbug in current?

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Wed Nov 23 23:01:30 CET 2022

Hi all,

I'm very hesitant to report this because I can't reproduce it
consistently: some of my files don't compile with bizarre font errors,
sometimes. At first I thought it may be a hardware problem on my laptop,
but I've seen more or less the same error on 3 different computers now,
intermittently. The offending call is always similar:

fonts           > otf loading > loading
'/mnt/shared/lmtx/tex/texmf/fonts/data/public/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf',
hash 'dejavusansmono'
otf reader      > fatal error in file
'/mnt/shared/lmtx/tex/texmf/fonts/data/public/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf':
...e0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/luametatex/font-otr-macro.lua:1040:
attempt to call a nil value (field 'to16dot16')

It concerns several fonts, both my own and (as here) from the
installation, and the first error is always this "field 'to16dot16.'"
Has anybody else seen this? Do the developers have any idea what this
could be? Has there been a change in the code concerning this field?

Sorry for being so vague, but I'm pulling my hair  because this error
crops up totally at random, AFAICS.

All best

Thomas