[NTG-context] Page break with placement of a figure at the bottom of the page

Bruce Horrocks ntg at scorecrow.com
Wed Nov 9 19:38:36 CET 2022

On 9 Nov 2022, at 18:22, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 11/9/22 17:51, Fabrice Couvreur via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I find that for some time (but maybe the problem comes from me !), the
>> placement of a figure at the bottom of the page causes a page break when
>> it seems to me that there is enough space, which poses some problems in
>> the pagination of my documents.
>
> Hi Fabrice,
>
> your figure requires about 7¼ lines (one line before, six for the image
> itself, and some extra space after it).
>
> Your layout for the first page only allows 43 lines and sample text ends
> on line 37.
>
> Replace \showframe with \showgrid and you will see that there might be
> not enough space to fit the image in the first page.
>
> Add "bottomspace=7.25mm" to the layout for the first page and the image
> will fit in the first page.
>
> Just in case it might help,

Or Pablo's answer shown another way... change the end of the example to:

\starttext
\dorecurse{11}{\input ward}
\placerecipe{}{\externalfigure[dum]}
\dorecurse{5}{\input ward}             %% extra
\stoptext

and the extra text shows how much space the image requires. Holding a ruler up to the screen you can see that it won't fit.

The problem seems to be that the image is reserving space for a caption even though there isn't a caption. A work-around is to change \setupfloat to the following:

 \setupfloat
     [recipe]
     [default={right,none,high}]

and then the image fits as you want it to.
—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK