[NTG-context] problem with Segoe Ui Symbol as fallback font

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Mon Nov 7 19:42:45 CET 2022

I’d like to set Segoe UI Symbol as fallback for all missing glyphs.
But it doesn’t work, I get an error like

registered function call [1145]:
...-14/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/math-act.lmt:2339:
attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field 'depth')
stack

... even if there’s no fallback enabled for the math font.

\definefontfallback[segoeFB]
   [name:segoeuisymbol]
   [0x00300-0x003FF,0x02100-0x02800]
   [check=yes,force=no]

That used to work, at least until version 2022-09-18.

It’s completely irregular which ranges throw an error:
0x03000-0x20000 runs
0x02000-0x03000 doesn’t
0x02200-0x027FF doesn’t

And the fallbacks also don’t work, even if there’s no error.

It seems to depend on the font – I get errors with Segoe UI Symbol, but
not with EmojiOneColor or Symbola.

I checked with font versions 5.0 and 5.01, don’t have newer ones.

Does it work with current versions?

Also, a list of fallbacks doesn’t work (I’d like to replace single
characters from different fonts); is it supposed to?

test file attached.

Hraban