[NTG-context] "true" units in LuaMetaTeX

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Thu Oct 27 11:09:28 CEST 2022

On 10/27/2022 10:22 AM, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
>> Anyway, I'll check it. Is anyone still using this "true" actually?
>
> I've been playing around with LuaMetaLaTeX/LuaMetaPlain recently
>
>     https://github.com/zauguin/luametalatex
>
> and plain.tex uses truein for typesetting the footnote rule. It's trivial
> to fix that specific case, but I'm finding 140 other files in TeX Live that
> use the "true" dimensions, 69 of which that have been updated in the past 3
> years. I doubt that anyone in ConTeXt uses the "true" dimensions though.
well, we can keep it as depricated feature (as there is no measurable
overhead when it's not used) .. although i might come up with some plain
mode in lmtx (when i'm really bored as it makes little sense) i'm not
going to worry much about / cq. follow old-school usage and
compatibility wrt dvi driver related features (i'm not even sure if
luametatex makes sense for other macro packages but we'll see, these
things happens outside my scope anyway)