[NTG-context] \autoinsertnextspace regression / discrepancy, mkiv to lmtx

Rik Kabel rik at panix.com
Wed Oct 26 15:35:43 CEST 2022

On 2022-10-26 07:43, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/26/2022 1:52 AM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
>> The following example produces different results when processed by
>> LMTX and MkIV. In particular, a space between the X and Y is not
>> auto-inserted by LMTX, while it is by MkIV.
>>
>>     \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>>        #1\autoinsertnextspace
>>     \stoptexdefinition
>>     \tt
>>     \starttext
>>        \TEST{X} \emph{Y}
>>     \stoptext
>>
>> The MkIV result is the correct result (in my opinion).
> more a side effect ... we lookahead and \emph is not some character
>
> I made a variants that does abetter job on that
>
> \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>     #1%
>     \autoinsertedspace % subtle name change
> \stoptexdefinition
>
> but you have to wait till we update,
>
> Hans

Thank you in advance for the upcoming fix.

Can you tell us (me) why you chose to create a new macro,
\autoinsertedspace, instead of changing the code for
\autoinsertnextspace in LMTX? Do you see a circumstance under which the
current LMTX behavior of \autoinsertnextspace is desirable or required?
Will the new macro be available under MkIV?

--
Rik