[NTG-context] How to make a row of text have vertical centering in tabulate environment?

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Tue Oct 25 18:16:08 CEST 2022

On 10/25/22 02:35, Joel via ntg-context wrote:
> I have a simple tabulate environment like this:
> [...]
> I'd like to vertically center the content in the one marked row. By
> default, they seem to place each cell aligned to the top, but how can I
> adjust them vertically so the text is vertically centered just in
> specific rows?

Hi Joel,

I have no experience with tabulates, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they
didn’t support vertical alignment.

You can achieve that with xtables:

  \starttext
  \startxtable[frame=off, option={stretch, width}]
    \startxrow[topframe=on, bottomframe=on]
      \startxcell[nx=2]
        Cause
      \stopxcell
      \startxcell
        Effect
      \stopxcell
    \stopxrow
    \startxrow[bottomframe=on]
    \startxcell[width=.45\textwidth,  align=lohi]
        text a
      \stopxcell
      \startxcell[width=.1\textwidth,  align=lohi]
        text b
      \stopxcell
      \startxcell[width=.45\textwidth, align=center]
        \input knuth
      \stopxcell
    \stopxrow
  \stopxtable
  \stoptext

xtables-mkiv.pdf contains all the details.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo