[NTG-context] never add a hyphen to break a URL

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Mon Oct 24 20:04:11 CEST 2022

On 10/24/22 18:54, Steffen Wolfrum via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to the Chicago Manual of Style we should «never add a hyphen to break a URL»:
>
> (https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/URLs/faq0008.html)

Hi Steffen,

I think this is not even a question of style.

myhouse.com and my-house.com are different domains.

> Is there a switch to forbid \useURL adding hyphens?

\hyphenatedurl{} is the way to go. Although you add a hyphen (and a
blank space [spaces as part of urls need to be escaped) to your url.

I would also enclose the url inside \startasciimode...\stopasciimode to
avoid escaping the percent sign.

The percent sign has to be escaped as \letterpercent (otherwise, you get
\%) in text.

A simpler approach would read (there is a single url, instead of two
[less typos in the end]):

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\starttext

\def\MyURL[#1]{\goto{\tt\hyphenatedurl{#1}}[url(#1)]}

\MyURL[https://litteraturbanken.se/författare/CollijnI/titlar/ActaEtProcessusCanon/sida/614/faksimil?show_search_work&s_query=retractata&s_lbworkid=lb487378&s_mediatype=faksimil&s_word_form_only]
\stoptext

But https://wiki.contextgarden.net/URL has more info.

Just in case it might help,