[NTG-context] Setting the size of \small

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Fri Oct 21 18:23:21 CEST 2022

On 10/21/2022 12:59 AM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> playing around with \definebodyfontenvironment with latest LMTX,
> I found this possibly buggy behavior:
>
> \definebodyfontenvironment[12pt][small=6pt] % x=6pt works here
> \setupbodyfont[12pt]
> \starttext
> normal {\tx tx} {\small small}
> \stoptext
>
> With \definebodyfontenvironment[12pt][x=6pt] I can resize \tx fine,
> but for \small it doesn't work.
it has to do with the fact that we have font clases and some parameters
are bound to it.

\setupbodyfontenvironment
   [pagella]
   [12pt]
   [x=4pt,
    small=4pt]

\setupbodyfont[pagella,12pt]

\starttext
     normal {\tx tx} {\small small}
\stoptext

that will work. You can say \fontclass to see what you got after a
\setupbodyfont.

I'll add

\setupbodyfontenvironment
   [all]
   [12pt]
   [x=4pt,
    small=4pt]

as option (assuming we have no performance hit).

x xx      : dynamic
small big : more static (trigger some definitions)

when we decide to go 'compact fonts' we can review this. We can then
also decide to get rid of the old design size subsystem (only lm uses it
unless one does 'modern' and there are other ways.)