[NTG-context] Suboptimal German hyphenation

Leah Neukirchen leah at vuxu.org
Wed Oct 19 16:47:08 CEST 2022

Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> writes:

> Max Chernoff via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi Leah,
>>
>>> I was typesetting some German text on a narrow page when I discovered
>>> the justification wasn't as good as expected.  I think I tracked this
>>> down to differences in hyphenation points, namely, ConTeXt has fewer:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \language[de]
>>> \showhyphens{Zusammenhang}
>>> \showhyphens{anderswo}
>>> \showhyphens{anderswoher}
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> This shows
>>> languages       > hyphenation > show: Zusam[-||]men[-||]hang
>>> languages       > hyphenation > show: anderswo
>>> languages       > hyphenation > show: anders[-||]wo[-||]her
>>
>> Babel/ngerman sets left/righthyphenmin to 2/2, but ConTeXt sets those to
>> 3/3 for German. (The English default is 2/3). I don't speak German so I
>> have no idea which is correct, but you can get the same behaviour in
>> ConTeXt with:
>
> Perfect, thanks!
>
> Many prefixes have two letters, so changing the default may be
> reasonable.  But there are more experienced German typographers on
> this list who can chime in.

After some research, I found the recommendation in
Forssman, de Jong: Detailtypografie (4. Aufl, 2008, S. 124f.) to
use 2/3 for German justified texts, and 3/4 to 5/5 for ragged text.
They also recommend to never hyphenate words with 5 letters, not sure
that can be encoded.

--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah at vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org