[NTG-context] new upload

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Mon Oct 17 22:40:46 CEST 2022

On 10/17/2022 7:12 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/15/22 11:28, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> […]
>> just run twice as the script will pick up
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> I have tried updating ConTeXt in Windows this morning and I’m afraid it
> hasn't worked.
>
> Until I can manage this, I think I will download (to the extend that is
> possible [and if this works at all]) a Win64 distribution using Linux64
> with "--platform=win64".
>
> The problem is clearly not the speed of the internet connection. I use
> internet with the standard speed.
>
> There are two things that strike me as possible causes.
>
> 1. Depending of which update is pending, the script announces a
> different number of files to be downloaded.
>
> The problem is that each individual file download seems to require a
> complete connection.
>
> I mean, it takes about ten seconds to establish a connection for each
> file. It is irrelevant how big the file actually is.
>
> After that, it isn’t much harder to download the LMTX binary than a tiny
> text file.

so then just do a complete install

> For most files, they aren’t downloaded in the first connection (they may
> require more than three downloads). It doesn’t seem to depend on size.
>
> This is what makes it hard to reach even 10% in the download.
>
> And even if some files may have been downloaded, once the script quits,
> the already downloaded files need to be downloaded again (since the main
> download process wasn’t completed).
>
> 2. The whole download is http instead of https.

sure, but if you have the curl(lib) installed in principle one could do
a secure install (I didn't really test it but it's in there)

> Sorry, but this may be causing the delay in the connections (because
> they may be being filtered by the company proxy [and I don’t want to ask]).
>
> https://lmtx.pragma-ade.nl seems to be the only source used (in Windows)
> and its certificate is only valid for lmtx.pragma-ade.com (according to
> Firefox).

hm, you can change the url in the install script (maybe i can set up the
server differently but not now)

> Even using "./install.sh --secure --platform=win64" (I’m on Linux now,
> no Windows here), I get:
>
> mtx-install     | instance : install-lmtx
> mtx-install     | platform : windows
> mtx-install     | system   : unix
> mtx-install     | fetching
> 'http://lmtx.pragma-ade.com/install-lmtx//texmf.zip'
>   […]
> mtx-install     | fetching
> 'http://lmtx.pragma-ade.com/install-lmtx//texmf-context.zip'
>
> I don’t know whether this is a bug or it is intended.
>
> BTW, "local function checkurl()" on line 52 of mtx-install.lua ends with:
>
>    and find(s,"rotocols")

not important (p P)

> I think it might read (although this doesn’t seem to change anything in
> my case):
>
>    and find(s,"protocols")
>
> Is there anything that I could to to improve the download process?
If per-file is slow at you end you can try to just install the whole lot
(just delete the tex tree or at least the tma file that stores the
hashes) because then the zip is downloaded and installed (one fetch).