[NTG-context] new upload

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Sat Oct 15 11:28:16 CEST 2022

On 10/15/2022 10:48 AM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/15/22 09:41, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> On 10/14/2022 4:14 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Many thanks for the new version, Hans.
>>>
>>> I have discovered that it includes in
>>> tex/texmf-context/source/luametatex what should be the LMTX source
>>> (about 11MB).
>>
>> It zips to 2 MB and totals to less of a picture on a fancy phone ...
>
> Many thanks for your reply, Hans.
>
> At least on my system, I think every file is downloaded uncompressed.
>
> With a low speed connection (here, the service isn’t great all the
> time), having to download over 400 files is a killer.

as has been pointed out, you only download the changed files and those
are not many

when sources are not included some complain, when they are others
com-plain ...

> The storage space on disk is irrelevant, I totally agree with you.
>
> I wish I could say that large updates such as these weren’t a problem in
> some cases. But sometimes this isn’t true here.
>
> With incremental updates, the downloading process takes way shorter in
> subsequent updates (as Alan pointed out). But the first time it might
> take too much (so the script quits).

just run twice as the script will pick up

>> the idea is to provide the user with all he needs as archive so no
>> dependencies (apart from a compiler). Also by including the source we
>> can sort of guaranteed that you get what you expect to work with the tex
>> files (no interference with distribution patches our of our control). It
>> has always been part of the plan with luametatex. So ... it will not be
>> optional.
>
> I asked to make this optional not to avoid having the source, but to be
> able to complete the update process.

i guess a few extra fonts are more demanding, actually the number of
fonts in the installation dropped (for now) so that compensates the
larger source tree