[NTG-context] (any) neovim users?

Alan Braslau alan.braslau at icloud.com
Fri Oct 14 19:26:59 CEST 2022

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 16:48:42 -0000 (UTC)
Nicola via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 2022-10-14, Alan Braslau via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl>
> wrote:
> > A recent upgrade of the editor neovim leads to the following error
> > when using %&context identification at the head of .tex source
> > files.
>
> The ConTeXt plugin (as well as MetaPost and MetaFont ones) has
> recently been rewritten in Vim 9 script (the new scripting language
> embedded in Vim), which NeoVim does not support, afaik. See this
> thread: https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/10968.
>
> One thing you can do is: grab the old runtime files and put them in
> you own ~/.vim directory (following a similar layout). You may get
> those from the `runtime` folder of the Vim project:
> https://github.com/vim/vim, or from NeoVim repo. Just checkout
> a revision with the old scripts (searching for "update runtime" in the
> commit logs should help you filter the relevant commits).
>
> Nicola

Thank you,

I wonder why a lua error is reported?

I also worry that %@context support has now diverged (for whatever reason) and that Context highlighting is now limited to the one "vim" variant of the vi editor. Using old runtime files in one's personal .vim directory locks one into unmaintained (by the Context community) syntax. I wish that a better solution were available.

Beyond this, I would think that neovim with lua scripting would be greatly preferable to vim9scripting. Indeed, while I do not know anything about the details, perhaps it could even use the same lpeg code as developed for the Scite editor.

Alan