[NTG-context] Spacing in \unit

Alan Braslau alan.braslau at icloud.com
Mon Oct 10 03:32:58 CEST 2022

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 11:59:04 -0600
Gavin via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:

> I’m trying to fix four issues:
>   - No space between the number and the following units. Should be a
> thin space.
>   - No space between the units and the following symbol (+ and =
> above). Should be appropriate “bin" or “rel" space.
>   - Too much space around the \cdot in the units. Should be treated
> like an “ord" when used to separate units.
>   - Too much space around the \times in the scientific notation.
> Should be treated like an "ord" when used in scientific notation.
> (I'm not sure there is consensus on this.)

Gavin (and the mailing list),

I would very strongly argue that the space between the number and the
following units be UNBREAKABLE. Perhaps a thin space (preference), but
most certainly non-breakable.

Similarly around the times in scientific notation.

I further cannot imagine that a line break be acceptable around a \cdot
in composite units.

This can possibly lead to overfill and underfill, something that I find
*infinitely* more acceptable then breaking numbers and units.

I do not know or use the \units command. Maybe it uses unbreakable
spaces, maybe not. I would never use it unless it could be configured
to only use nonbreakable spaces.

Perhaps others feel differently?

Alan