[NTG-context] LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Sun Oct 9 12:08:37 CEST 2022

On 10/9/2022 8:03 AM, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>>
>> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
>> doesn't work with the default settings.
>>
>> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
>> \starttext
>> Just a line of text.
>> \stoptext
>>
>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>
> Just to add some more data points, I tested the attached MkXL file on
> two printers, and the file printed perfectly on both.
>
> Printer 1:
>     Brother HL-3170CDW
>     Printed via running "cat test.mkxl.pdf | nc Colour-Printer.local 9100"
>
> Printer 2:
>     HP M227f LaserJet
>     Printed from the PDF file on a USB stick
>
> Neither printer is anything fancy; they're both fairly inexpensive home
> laser printers. I've got a much older Brother laser printer that I may be
> able to test with next week.
>
> Sorry I can't be of more help.
Leah and I are zooming in on the issue. It might relate to wrong font
matrix default behavior in the pdf printer driver, and GS got a fix for
that long ago, so maybe old printers with not-updated drivers can be
affected.

Once we're confident that we can catch it Leah (who does the low level
introspective testing with viewers, printers and tools) likely will
report on it and there will be a test file for users to test if what we
do is okay before we apply the safeguard.