[NTG-context] Apostrophe entity using \xmltexentity is ignored

Max Chernoff mseven at telus.net
Sat Oct 8 23:49:00 CEST 2022

Hi,

> Has the handling for the apostrophe character entity changed recently?
>
> In the following example, the \xmltexentity for apostrophe is ignored,
> resulting in a straight apostrophe instead of a curled one:

> Any ideas on how to fix it?

(see also https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/661002/270600)

There are two different problems here.

1. Typing "'" now gives a straight apostrophe instead of a curly one by
   default.

   The solution to this is to add

      \definefontfeature[default][default][trep=yes]

   somewhere near the start of your document. See this thread

      https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2021/104286.html

   from last year.

2. ConTeXt ignores the redefinition of predefined entities.

   If you run this code:

      \enabletrackers[xml.entities]

      \xmltexentity{apos}{XXX}
      \xmltexentity{lsquo}{YYY}
      \xmltexentity{rsquo}{ZZZ}
      \xmltexentity{laquo}{«}
      \xmltexentity{raquo}{»}

   then you get this output:

      xml             > tex > registering tex entity 'apos' as 'XXX'
      xml             > tex > registering tex entity 'lsquo' as 'YYY'
      xml             > tex > registering tex entity 'rsquo' as 'ZZZ'
      xml             > tex > registering tex entity 'laquo' as '«'
      xml             > tex > registering tex entity 'raquo' as '»'
      xml             > core > resolving entity ‘ to internal '󰀁'
      xml             > core > resolving entity ‘ to internal '󰀁'
      xml             > core > resolving entity ' to predefined '''
      xml             > core > resolving entity « to internal '󰀂'
      xml             > core > resolving entity « to internal '󰀂'
      xml             > core > resolving entity » to internal '󰀃'
      xml             > core > resolving entity » to internal '󰀃'
      xml             > core > resolving entity ’ to internal '󰀄'
      xml             > core > resolving entity ’ to internal '󰀄'
      xml             > tex > passing entity 'lsquo' as 'YYY' using 'ctxcatcodes'
      xml             > tex > passing entity 'U+27' as ''' using 'ctxcatcodes'
      xml             > tex > passing entity 'laquo' as '«' using 'ctxcatcodes'
      xml             > tex > passing entity 'raquo' as '»' using 'ctxcatcodes'
      xml             > tex > passing entity 'rsquo' as 'ZZZ' using 'ctxcatcodes'

   I know of a bad way to fix this (see the linked SE question), but
   hopefully someone here knows of a proper solution.

Thanks,
-- Max