[NTG-context] LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Wed Oct 5 23:25:33 CEST 2022

On 10/5/2022 6:02 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:

> It happens both with LuaMetaTeX and LuaTeX. When playing with certain
> levels of zooming, some blank spots are displayed inside the characters
> (printing is fine).

Such artifacts can result from operating in the extremes and one has to
keep in mind that maybe not all variables fonts have all characters
tested for these extremes. Actually even regular fonts can have such
effects like small bumps (we saw some in math fonts) and these also show
up in font editors. But normally we don't see these at small sizes. Some
has to do with 'sloppy or difficult or challenging' designs, some with
(eo)fill side effects not much different from what mp graphics can do
with envelopes (we've written about that). I'd not loose sleep over this.