[NTG-context] LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers

Leah Neukirchen leah at vuxu.org
Tue Oct 4 00:34:48 CEST 2022


Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> writes:

> On 10/3/2022 7:17 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
>> doesn't work with the default settings.
>> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
>> \starttext
>> Just a line of text.
>> \stoptext
>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the
>> printer)
>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>> The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.
>> Conversion to PostScript with pstopdf (poppler-22.07.0) and then
>> sending the PS renders the document correctly on the printer.
>> PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
>> LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
>> I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.
>> I attached the non-working 'foo.pdf.mkix'
>> and the working 'foo.pdf.mkiv' file.
>> I tried to disable font subsetting to debug this further, but I
>> couldn't figure out how to do it.
>
> subsetting should not be a problem and both files are subsetted  (lmxt
> a bit different but not fundamentally)

Well the idea was to have the same font stream in both files, so we
exclude that from the reasons it breaks.

Curiously, when I use Deja Vu:
\setupbodyfont[dejavu]

Then I get a
VHOYGZ+DejaVuSansMono                CID TrueType      Identity-H
   yes yes yes      8  0

and the PDF prints fine!  So it must be related to how Type 0C fonts
are written out, I think.

-- 
Leah Neukirchen  <leah at vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org


More information about the ntg-context mailing list