[NTG-context] Suboptimal German hyphenation

Max Chernoff mseven at telus.net
Thu Sep 29 02:17:42 CEST 2022

Hi Leah,

> I was typesetting some German text on a narrow page when I discovered
> the justification wasn't as good as expected.  I think I tracked this
> down to differences in hyphenation points, namely, ConTeXt has fewer:
>
> \starttext
> \language[de]
> \showhyphens{Zusammenhang}
> \showhyphens{anderswo}
> \showhyphens{anderswoher}
> \stoptext
>
> This shows
> languages       > hyphenation > show: Zusam[-||]men[-||]hang
> languages       > hyphenation > show: anderswo
> languages       > hyphenation > show: anders[-||]wo[-||]her

Babel/ngerman sets left/righthyphenmin to 2/2, but ConTeXt sets those to
3/3 for German. (The English default is 2/3). I don't speak German so I
have no idea which is correct, but you can get the same behaviour in
ConTeXt with:

   \mainlanguage[de]
   \lefthyphenmin=2
   \righthyphenmin=2

   \starttext
   \showhyphens{Zusammenhang}
   \showhyphens{anderswo}
   \showhyphens{anderswoher}
   \stoptext

which gives:

   languages       > hyphenation > show: Zu[-||]sam[-||]men[-||]hang
   languages       > hyphenation > show: an[-||]ders[-||]wo
   languages       > hyphenation > show: an[-||]ders[-||]wo[-||]her

-- Max