[NTG-context] Suboptimal German hyphenation

Leah Neukirchen leah at vuxu.org
Thu Sep 29 00:24:41 CEST 2022

Hi,

I was typesetting some German text on a narrow page when I discovered
the justification wasn't as good as expected.  I think I tracked this
down to differences in hyphenation points, namely, ConTeXt has fewer:

\starttext
\language[de]
\showhyphens{Zusammenhang}
\showhyphens{anderswo}
\showhyphens{anderswoher}
\stoptext

This shows
languages       > hyphenation > show: Zusam[-||]men[-||]hang
languages       > hyphenation > show: anderswo
languages       > hyphenation > show: anders[-||]wo[-||]her

Now with LaTeX and Babel:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\begin{document}
\showhyphens{Zusammenhang}
\showhyphens{anderswo}
\showhyphens{anderswoher}
\end{document}

This shows
[] \TU/lmr/m/n/10 Zu-sam-men-hang
[] \TU/lmr/m/n/10 an-ders-wo
[] \TU/lmr/m/n/10 an-ders-wo-her

The LaTeX hyphenation points agree with the German Duden dictionary.

As none of the words use more than 7-bit ASCII, I think newer pattern
changes are not related.

Curiously, the same effect already appears with MKII and MKIV from
TeXLive 2014, the oldest I had around.

I'm also surprised 'anders-wo-her' gets hyphenated but 'anderswo' is
not hyphenated at all.

I could not reproduce a difference with English words so far.

Any ideas? As far as I understand, MKIV/LMTX should use the
de-hyph-1996 patterns which LuaLaTeX uses these days too, via
hyph-utf8.

Thanks,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah at vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org/