[NTG-context] Is there an "align with item on facing page" option?

Bruce Horrocks ntg at scorecrow.com
Sun Sep 25 13:14:15 CEST 2022

Is there a way to align text with an item on the facing page?

I'm typesetting author biographies for a book and I'm doing two per page. The author's name appears on a line of its own in \tfa size and then the bio text follows. Ideally I'd like their names aligned so that all four (on a two page spread) appear nicely symmetrical.

Currently I'm using \godown[\dimexpr80mm-\pagetotal] (for A5 pages) between each pair which works nicely in that if the first biography is too long it overlaps and I know to edit it to be shorter.

However, if the second biography is a little long, it pushes the first back up the page a little - maybe only one line - and then it no longer aligns with the the one on the facing page. If I could somehow tell ConTeXt to vertically align the author names then that might do the job?

I've tried using two frames above each other with fixed min and maxheight but then I can't get the author's thumbnail picture to place properly and have the text wrap around it.

Any thoughts?
—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK