[NTG-context] PDF viewer

Alan Braslau alan.braslau at icloud.com
Fri Sep 23 04:30:11 CEST 2022

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:47:50 -0600
Max Chernoff via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:

> I've been using pdf.js almost exclusively for the past few years
> either via Firefox or VS Code, and I've never really had any
> problems. The only real issue that I've had is that it gets fairly
> slow with documents over a few thousand pages long. Otherwise, it
> seems pretty fast and stable, and it supports nearly every feature
> that I tend to need.

I have never used firefox to display pdf files. I just tried it and
find that it has an interesting feature of caching rendered pages.

Pages with complicated graphics (think MetaPost with hundreds of
thousands of objects) get rendered pretty quickly, although one can see
the very many objects being drawn the first time the page is displayed.
Subsequently displays of these pages have no lag whatsoever.

Alan