[NTG-context] searching in the source browser

Max Chernoff mseven at telus.net
Mon Sep 5 23:53:43 CEST 2022

Hi Hraban,

> Am 05.09.22 um 21:07 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
> > has it to be the source browser?
> >
> > I mean, I use grep in Linux (MSYS2 in Windows [and brew.sh is available
> > for macOS]) and it works perfectly fine with ConTeXt.
> >
> >    $ grep -irl fi[eë][eë] context
> >    context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/char-def.lua
> >    context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/lilypond/t-lilypond.tex
> >
> > Althought regular expressions are fine, I don’t know why "fi[eë]+"
> > doesn’t work in this case.
> >
> > Just in case it might help,
>
> Thank you – I found
>
> grep -R "regex" ~/context
>
> to be most easy.
>
> But I like the source browser with its syntax highlighting, and it’s a
> pity that the search is so limited.

I usually use the new GitHub "Code Search". This works pretty well,
although you need a (free) account to use it:

   https://cs.github.com/contextgarden/context-mirror?q=%5Cstarttext

Sourcegraph should work pretty much the same way. I don't usually use
it, but it has the advantage of not requiring an account:

   https://sourcegraph.com/search?q=context:global+repo:%5Egithub%5C.com/contextgarden/context-mirror%24+%5Cstarttext&patternType=standard

Both of these have syntax highlighting and work with literal strings or
regexes.

-- Max