[NTG-context] How can I make a Gentoo Linux package for ConTeXt LMTX?

Michal Vlasák lahcim8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:00:00 CEST 2022

On Wed Aug 24, 2022 at 11:32 PM CEST, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 8/24/2022 10:21 PM, Michal Vlasák via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > Or rather no solution would be needed at all, since the "mtxrun" and
> > "context" wrapper commands and "texmfcnf.lua" files will be probably
> > specific for each packaging target (different directories on different
> > distros, and Unix vs Windows), and thus the matter of packagers. And
> > copying a binary and a directory with runtime files is the usual task of
> > an install step of "package descriptions", so maybe even a Makefile like
> > I had wouldn't be needed.
>
> just a note: the mtxrun[.exe] and context[.exe] commands are not really
> wrappers but symlinks to the binary luametatex[.exe]  (i didn't test if
> mtxrun.lua and context.lua can be symlinks but that are to be in the
> same path in order to be seen)

Yes, sorry I should have been clearer. What is necessary for luametatex
to run a Lua script is to run it with another name (argv[0]). This can
be done with symlinks, or with `exec -a mtxrun luametatex`. And even
mtxrun.lua and context.lua can be symlinks, it works, I used it.

> one can actually use the default texmf.cnf if one sets TEXMF or one of
> its companions .. they default to be autoparent which is natural for tds

Thanks, indeed the config file sets the paths nicely, so it isn't
necessary to have another file if one sets TEXMF, very nice!

One addition I had was the use of $TEXMFDOTDIR instead of "." as the
first path in most variables, e.g.:

    TEXINPUTS = "$TEXMFDOTDIR;$TEXMF/tex/{context,plain/base,generic}//",

instead of

    TEXINPUTS = ".;$TEXMF/tex/{context,plain/base,generic}//",

I quite like it for adding directories with my macros / bib files etc.
that are not structured as TDS tree, but rather are "flat".

It's originally from TeX Live:

    https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/commit/f1dfa7b7670fa28451c386fb08e2b32d293741ab

It lists ".//" as another possible use. Could you also add it?

I updated the repo:

    https://github.com/vlasakm/context

Now also `context` is an executable (two more symlinks, so now 4
symlinks and one binary in total). There is no longer a configuration
file by me (the fallback contextcnf.lua gets used or user provides one),
the drawback being that I set some variables in the environment and the
user now can't override them from config file only from environment,
AFAIK. Also

     mtxrun --variables

doesn't work now (maybe other things) though I won't investigate further
for now.

Anyway, thanks for the clarifications and suggestions!

Michal