[NTG-context] Is rendering furigana over horizontal or vertical japanese text doable in ConTeXt?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Mon Aug 22 09:16:33 CEST 2022

On 8/22/2022 7:21 AM, 黄复雄 via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear Hans.
> Thank you very much for so many examples and guidance.
>
> In fact, I have read one of the examples in the followingup.pdf,
> and the https://github.com/Fusyong/vertical-typesetting module I made
> is based on the example.
>
> The examples all worked after I changed the font settings according to
> my Win10 OS;
> and surprisingly, the ruby module also worked with \setscript[hanzi]
>   (they don't work together in the example Mr. Wolfgang provided).

I noticed an issu ewith multiple glyphs but am not sure why ... (so we
need very small examples to figure it out).

> The only problem is that the offsets of glyphs are a bit inaccurate,
> which may be related to the font,
> and I will look into it further.

in the vertical feature one can tune a bit.

> The examples I have adjusted are attached,
> and the output PDF of them is not attached for being too big to the
> limit of 100 KB.
> (Just now I received a reply from the mailing list system asking to
> adjust a over-length email,
> I mistakenly thought it was about the one to Mr. Wolfgang, so that one
> was duplicated and submitted,
> please deal with it.)

there are indeed limits

> By the way, I've finished checking and adjusting type-imp-mscore.mkiv,
> scrp-cjk.lua, and char-scr.lua so far,
> but the changes are a bit much (or maybe you can say a bit reckless),
> so I'm hesitant to get back to you in order to minimize your troubles.
> And as mentioned partly in an earlier email, I've made 3 modules that
> support Chinese
> (about vertical-typesetting,  Jiazhu or inline cutting note and punctuation)
> and I'd be happy to contribute them to the ConTeXt project repository
> when they're ripe,
> if that's in line with the project policy. Your comments and guidance
> are very welcome.

hm, i can have a look at it but we shouldn't break japanese and korean

once you finished all we can see how it can either be integrated or
become some third party module (has to do with maintainance)

can you also make a noto typescript for the different chinese setups
(for some reason the CJK noto's failed so i used the non CJK ones as i
couldn't locate the right files; one cannot longher download al-of-noto
in one zip )