[NTG-context] How can I make a Gentoo Linux package for ConTeXt LMTX?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Thu Aug 18 19:16:21 CEST 2022

On 8/18/2022 4:08 PM, amano.kenji wrote:
> Sorry for spamming the list a little bit.
>
> If there was something like https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/ncurses.html for ConTeXt and luametatex (binary), then distribution maintainers can make packages for ConTeXt easily.
>
> I don't know TeX/TeXLive/kpathsea/ConTeXt directory structure conventions. Linux package maintainers don't know, either. I have packaged hundreds of programs, and TeX derivatives are monsters.
>
> Most users just install texlive OS package, use TexLive upstream installer, or use ConTeXt upstream install.sh.
The problem with something context is that there are basically only two
components:

- a tex tree with fonts and macros
- a few binaries (just one for lmtx)

while in texlive one has quite some choices. We made these minimals
actually in order to not end up with complex system dependent
installations, also because most users just install context this way (it
is fast too).

So, as Alan explained, anyone can wrap differently based on that. And if
something is needed, we can provide it. But I'm not going to install
something else than what i have for testing it. My develop and work
machine is windows pro + linux sub system, the servers run opensuse. On
all I just install under /data/context and that makes it system wide. I
don't need to set up something apart from adding a binary to the path
(or when I run from e.g. a web service I just use a fully quialified
path to mtxrun) .. it cannot be simpler than that.