[NTG-context] How can I make a Gentoo Linux package for ConTeXt LMTX?

amano.kenji amano.kenji at proton.me
Thu Aug 18 15:44:34 CEST 2022

I really don't understand how TexLive is installed. On Gentoo Linux, the code that handles TexLive installation is complex. I can't reuse code that I don't understand.

I came from LaTeX background. I got sick of handling incompatible modules in LaTeX and decided to try ConTeXt. I had used texlive OS package. I just started learning ConTeXt.

In the vast majority of cases, `make install` installs everything.

In case of ConTeXt, there is no `make install`. So, there needs to be a document that teaches me which directories I can just copy each source directory of ConTeXt to. Copying luametatex to /usr/bin is going to be easy.

I never had to understand TexLive/ConTeXt directory structure because I just used TexLive OS package. Now, I'm stuck reverse-engineering a black box.

Am I supposed to execute the following commands in https://github.com/contextgarden/context-mirror?

```
cp fonts /path/to/usr/share/texmf-dist
cp context /path/to/usr/share/texmf-dist
```

If you teach package maintainers where directories can be installed, then the maintainers can adapt the instructions to their own linux distributions.

Example installation commands can help a lot.

install.sh handles the magic behind complex lua functions I don't understand.