[NTG-context] How can I make a Gentoo Linux package for ConTeXt LMTX?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Tue Aug 16 18:02:14 CEST 2022

On 8/16/2022 1:43 PM, amano.kenji via ntg-context wrote:
> Even if I put the installation in an archive and make a linux package that installs the archive, I still have to modify contextcnf.lua which isn't intended to handle differing system-wide installation paths of various POSIX-like operating systems.
>
> And, I don't really know
>
> * what the variables in contextcnf.lua mean and do.
> * whether there is a way to override certain variables in contextcnf.lua with another file. A separate override file is going to make it easy for linux distributions to override certain variables in contextcnf.lua.
   mtxrun --generate

reports all kind of locations where configurations files are looked for

one can also set environment variables and see what is used

   mtxrun --variables
   mtxrun --expansions

so there are plenty ways to configure and you can run

 >mtxrun --configurations

which on my machine gives

system          | resolved | file :
c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
system          | resolved | file :
c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua

indicating that i use an additional configuration file

there are some boundary conditions:

- we use mtxrun as runner and that one used luatex as lua engine
- this means that mtxrun[.lua] has to be in the same path as the binary

in lmtx we even go a bit further:

- in lmtx there is mtxrun.lua
- as well as context.lua
- there are 'mtxrun' and 'context' binaries that are either copies or
symlinks to luametatex in the same path
- this is the same on unix and windows

in lmtx luametatex is also used as runner for mkiv when installed

on unix i normally just install the minimal tree and then either add the
bin path to the path or just run mtxrun fully qualified (actually always
for the whole system under /data/context)