[NTG-context] How can I make a Gentoo Linux package for ConTeXt LMTX?

Bruce Horrocks ntg at scorecrow.com
Mon Aug 15 19:00:40 CEST 2022

> On 15 Aug 2022, at 13:19, amano.kenji <amano.kenji at proton.me> wrote:
>
> I was trying to translate instructions in install.sh and dependencies of install.sh into shell commands in a Gentoo Linux package.
>
> Gentoo Linux downloads all dependencies and builds a package in a network namespace where there is no internet access.

If you must use a Linux that makes life hard... ;-)

I'm guessing you're trying to prepare ConTeXt for use in a private repository on a LAN so that your users can install it without needing Internet access?

ConTeXt only depends on glibc (iirc) - and it assumes it is present already. So do an install on a machine that does have Internet access and everything you need will then be self-contained in the directory you chose to install into. Zip up that directory and use it for subsequent installs as many times as you want just by unzipping it - no further Internet access required.

You'll need to set up the PATH for where you unzipped the file - but the install.sh file has the necessary information towards the end.

Try it and see - it's not like typical modern bloatware that pulls down 100's of Gbytes of dependencies willy-nilly.

> Thus, install.sh cannot be directly used in a gentoo linux package. I have to translate instructions used in install.sh into shell commands.
>
> How can I do that? Can I somehow execute mtx-install.lua, mtxrun.lua, or mtxrun in a way that doesn't require internet access?

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK