[NTG-context] Accessing inserts from Lua in LuaMetaTeX

Max Chernoff mseven at telus.net
Mon Aug 15 08:18:19 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I'm trying to manipulate some inserts from Lua in LuaMetaTeX, and I'm
having some problems that I'm not having with LuaTeX.

First, how do I get an insert's class/type from the "insert" nodes on
the page? With LuaTeX, the insert's class/type is the same as the
subtype of the "ins" nodes, but the subtype of the "insert" nodes is
always zero in LuaMetaTeX, so I'm not sure how to get the class/type.

Second, how do I get the head of the insert box from Lua? With LuaTeX,
from TeX you would use "\box<class>" and from Lua you can use
"tex.box[<class>]". With LuaMetaTeX, you use "\insertbox<class>" from
TeX, but I'm not sure how to get at the insert box from Lua.

The context for both of these is that my module lua-widow-control
sometimes moves a line containing footnotes to the next page, so I need
to do some surgery to make sure that the "footnote marks" stay with the
"footnote text". This is tricky but doable with LuaTeX, but I can't seem
to get it to work with the new inserts in LuaMetaTeX, hence the above
questions.

Thanks,
-- Max