[NTG-context] Fwd: Typesetting modern Greek (UTF8) with ConTeXt

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 12 09:14:47 CEST 2022

On 8/12/2022 2:57 AM, Adam Reviczky wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I get a 'Nonletter' error with *fmtutil* for the mkii greek patterns (from
> the latest cont-tmf.zip 2022-08-05 17:17).
>
> Is that an issue with texlive's *fmtutil* itself or something wrong with
> the mkii greek pattern file?

Actually, we never had a greek hyphenation pattern file, only for
ancient greek. Modern greek in mkii has not encoding defined (we're
talking 2005 and before when Tomas made the greek encoding that dealt
with utf in pdftex). It has to do with 'setting what are letters' and
these modern greek patterns have plenty different.

You can patch lang-grk.mkii:

\installlanguage
   [\s!gr]
   [\c!spacing=\v!packed,
    \c!leftsentence=---,
    \c!rightsentence=---,
    \c!leftsubsentence=---,
    \c!rightsubsentence=---,
    \c!leftquote=\greekleftquot,
    \c!rightquote=\greekrightquot,
    \c!leftquotation=\greekleftquot,
    \c!rightquotation=\greekrightquot,
     % we're missing an encoding for greek
    \s!patterns=\s!agr,
    \s!mapping=\s!agr,
    \s!encoding=\s!agr,
    % but one can use mkiv / lmtx anyway
    \c!date={\v!day\ \v!month\ \v!year}]

At least you get something. In mkiv and lmtx we have both.

Just curious: you're still in mkii?