[NTG-context] math symbols

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 5 17:34:43 CEST 2022

Hi,

We're curious what math symbols users actually use. There are for
instance all kind of variations on '<' and '>' and the quesiton is: how
should we group them and are they used differently in different contexts.

Traditionally tex sort of groups according to spacing related classes
but we are (1) mor egranular than that and (2) like to organize symbols
(and related commands) into meaning related groups.

The fact that for instance mathml and openmath only groups a small
selection is kind of puzzling because it means that only a handful is
considered useful while on the other han dwe have plenty in unicode and
fonts (of course multiple usage and overloads complicate matters).

We'd like to sort out some of the mess that the tex community
accumulated over decades and are not that bound to conventions, more to
a well organized whole,