[NTG-context] issue with lpath

Taco Hoekwater taco at bittext.nl
Thu Aug 4 17:32:03 CEST 2022

> On 4 Aug 2022, at 16:07, Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 8/4/2022 12:22 PM, Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context wrote:
>>> On 3 Aug 2022, at 15:54, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, is there any way to rephrase "{h3 + blockquote}" in proper Lua?
>> I was wondering about that as well, and I really had no clue how to do that. Some
>> reading and studying later, I realised that there is a preceding-sibling:: axis.
>> That is not documented in xml-mkiv.pdf I think, but it inherited from xpath, and that means this works:
>>   \xmlsetsetup{#1}{blockquote/preceding-sibling::h3[-1]/} {xml:section}
>> “Take all blockquotes, then tests their immediate preceding siblings (index [-1]) that are h3."
>> But the CSS version is nicer. Still, both solutions fail on generic input.
>> Sorry, out of clues
> \startbuffer[demo]

That puts the whole <div> content inside the \section, and I don’t think that was the intent. I understood that Pablo only wants the “h3” node.

In the original request, the CSS “{h3 + blockquote}” matches a “blockquote” anyplace where it is immediately preceded by a “h3” (and nowhere else).
After that, some trickery was needed to try and get back to the actual “h3”.

My trick above with preceding-sibling above also gets the “h3” that is immediately followed by a “blockquote”, but it got easily
confused if there were multiple “h3” or “blockquote” objects in the input.

Best wishes,
Taco

PS This sort of confusing filtering is why I do most of my xml processing from the lua end, where it is much clearer to me what is what.

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: taco at bittext.nl
genderfluid (all pronouns)