[NTG-context] m-graph label

John Kitzmiller jkitzm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 23:14:01 CEST 2022

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:10 PM Alan <braslau.list at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 17:56:45 -0400
> John Kitzmiller <jkitzm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (Apologies for double-dipping, but usage direction for the
> > least-squares fit extension in m-graph would be a gift.)
>
> The least-squares fit (to a polynomial) is a deterministic calculation,
> not an arbitrary non-linear search. As such, it is very robust.
>
> Certain (useful) functions, a Gaussian peak for example, can be
> suitably transformed to a polynomial function, so these are handled as
> well, robustly.
>
> Examples are given as comments in mp-grap.mpiv that you can follow.
> Also attached is an adapted version of the original John Hobby
> documentation, with extensions described.
>
> Note that the m-graph module is simply a re-write of the John Hobby
> graph macros, taking advantage of floating-point MetaPost (thus
> simplified).
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> I have been working on a completely new luagraph module that does much
> in lua. It has, notably, arbitrary coordinate systems.
>
> This has been a moving target as I put more and more into lua
> and less and less in Metapost. I have also been playing chase with the
> development of luametatex (and have fallen behind).
>
> Alan

Thanks for the modified documentation of the graph macros. It has been a
great help. Is it in the lmtx distribution somewhere?

I read about the upcoming luagraph in mag-1104-mkiv.pdf (This Way
11/11/2019) and have also played a bit with LuaMetaFun and Aditya's blog
post. Looking forward to that development, thank you!

John