[NTG-context] If a Font Has Ligature Glyphs But No Feature?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at freedom.nl
Thu Jul 21 09:02:31 CEST 2022


On 7/20/2022 9:40 PM, Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context wrote:
> 
> 
>> On 20 Jul 2022, at 05:31, Michael Urban via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Aside from purchasing a real font product from Linotype at enormous expense and hoping it is better equipped, is there a way to coerce ConTeXt into using the ligature glyphs for fi and fl?
> 
> Yes - I had to do the same for a font called Venetian 301 for which I found these 4 files:
> 
> Filename			Name as it appears to MacOS
> --------			--------------------------
> Venetian301BT-Roman.otf		Venetian 301 Regular
> Venetian301BT-Italic.otf	Venetian 301 Italic
> Venetian301BT-Bold.otf		Venetian 301 Bold
> venetian-301-demi-bt.ttf	Venetian Dm BT Demi
> 
> They each had the fi and fl ligatures, but at different character positions depending on which file, and they weren't recognised by default. So I used the following code to add them (and add en and em dash substitution as well).
> 
> %% ---- start
> \startluacode
>      fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>          name = "v1",	-- these character substitutions will be applied to venetian-301-demi-bt
>          type = "ligature",
>          data = {
>              [0xF001] = { "f", "i" },
>              [0xF002] = { "f", "l" },
>          }
>      }
>      fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>          name = "v2",	-- these character substitutions will be applied to Venetian301BT
>          type = "ligature",
>          data = {
>              [0xFB01] = { "f", "i" },
>              [0xFB02] = { "f", "l" },
>          }
>      }
>      fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>          name = "v3",	-- these character substitutions will be applied to both
>          type = "ligature",
>          data = {
>              [0x2013] = { "-", "-" },      -- en dash
>              [0x2014] = { "-", "-", "-" }, -- em dash
>          }
>      }
> \stopluacode
> \definefontfeature [venetian-301-demi-ligatures] [v1=yes,v3=yes]
> \definefontfeature [venetian-301-BT-ligatures]   [v2=yes,v3=yes]
> 
> \starttypescript [serif] [myBookFont]
>    \definefontsynonym [Serif]       [file:venetian-301-demi-bt] [features=venetian-301-demi-ligatures]
>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]   [file:Venetian301BT-Bold]   [features=venetian-301-BT-ligatures]
>    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [file:Venetian301BT-Italic] [features=venetian-301-BT-ligatures]
> \stoptypescript
> %% ---- end
> 
> Note that the names v1, v2 and v3 are entirely arbitrary. Also, the \starttypescript section sets the font features to be just those I've defined - potentially losing whatever 'default' would provide. But since the font doesn't seem to have a lot of features in the first place I've so far not noticed any problems. I'm sure a real expert could tell you how to retain 'default' and add the ligatures, if needed.
just name them 'liga' and default will then do them


-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
-----------------------------------------------------------------


More information about the ntg-context mailing list