[NTG-context] Set up external figure for particular image type

Albert Krewinkel albert+context at zeitkraut.de
Wed Jul 13 00:33:22 CEST 2022

Thangalin via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> writes:

> The source comes from Markdown, which is converted to XML, then typeset
> using ConTeXt. There's no Markdown-specific mechanism to relate images
> to a particular external figure definition, unfortunately. All images
> use the same syntax and are treated the same way. The only part that
> differs is the file name extension (and header within the file).

The below is likely overkill and a good bit of work to setup, but it is
also very flexible. Maybe it suits your needs.

The Markdown-to-XML conversion can be tuned to include all the relevant
information. E.g., you could use pandoc with a custom writer to produce
the XML format of your choice. The link below is an example XML writer
that can be tuned as needed.
<https://gist.github.com/tarleb/634b409be0af62ca210cc9e96d41ca8c>

With that setup, one can modify the `Image` function to produce the
output you need. E.g., match on the file name extension use the library
function `pandoc.path.split_extension` and then change the element type
depending on the extension.

This way you'd have all the important information in your XML.
More info: <https://pandoc.org/custom-writers> and
<https://pandoc.org/lua-filters>.

Of course, you could also use pandoc to go directly to ConTeXt; that is
currently my preferred way of producing PDF from Markdown.

Cheers,
Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel