[NTG-context] Count (and limit) glyphs per line?

Benjamin Buchmuller benjamin.buchmuller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 05:15:19 CEST 2022

Dear list,

I've been confronted with the following 'intriguing' formatting requirement for a document:

"
• Type density:  Must be no more than 15 characters per linear inch (including characters and spaces).
• Line spacing: Must be no more than six lines per vertical inch.
"

While the line spacing resolves in ConTeXt to

\setupinterlinespace[line=\dimexpr(1in / 6)]

I was wondering if one can limit "type density" as the number of glyphs per inch in TeX too? I thought, it is more convenient to rephrase this request (for a 7 in textwidth) to limit the number of glyphs per line to 112. (Font must be sans or serif, of course ...)

I've tried

\setuplayout[width=112\averagecharwidth]

which, however, results in ~120–130 characters and spaces per line. Pragmatically, I'm narrowing the text width to empirically match the requirement, but I'm nevertheless curious if there is a Lua/TeX solution to this "problem"?

Thank you!

Benjamin