[NTG-context] Improving pandoc's ConTeXt output

Albert Krewinkel albert+context at zeitkraut.de
Wed Jun 8 15:43:26 CEST 2022

Albert Krewinkel via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> writes:

> I'm currently trying to improve the ConTeXt output generated by pandoc,
> the document convert. There are two questions that we haven't decided
> on, and I'd be grateful to receive some feedback from ConTeXt experts on
> these issues:
>
> 1. As far as I understand, the `\section` syntax currently produced by
>    pandoc should be considered mkii legacy syntax. We're likely going to
>    switch to the modern `\startsection`/`\stopsection` syntax instead.
>    Are there any concerns about retiring the old syntax?
>    (Side note: pandoc already produces the new syntax, but only when
>    called with `--section-divs`.)
>
> 2. Similarly, I'd like to start wrapping paragraphs with
>    `\startparagraph`/`\stopparagraph`. It is important for me to get
>    properly tagged PDF, but this would also make the output more
>    verbose. Is that something that you would find bothering, or do you
>    see adding the extra environment by default as an acceptable
>    practice?
>
> Of course, I'd also be happy to get other suggestions on how to improve
> pandoc's ConTeXt support.

A big "thank you" for everyone's feedback! We've implemented the first
point as suggested, with the second still in discussion. The next pandoc
version will also feature better table support for ConTeXt.

Thanks again, ConTeXt is a wonderful tool!

Best,
Albert

PS: For completeness, this is the pull requests for better table
    support: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/8116

--
Albert Krewinkel