[NTG-context] Typesetting modern Greek (UTF8) with ConTeXt

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Tue Jun 7 18:32:31 CEST 2022

Am 07.06.22 um 17:42 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
> On 6/6/22 22:59, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>> I can’t remember where I found the information that el-monoton
>> (synonymous to el and gr) and el-polyton (synonymous to agr and grc)
>> should be available.
>
> Hyphenation patterns for Greek are three: grc, el-monoton and el-polyton.
>
> Ancient and medieval Greek are hyphenated in a different way than
> polytonic Greek before 1982 (when monotonic orthography was introduced
> by law).

Ah, thank you for the explanation!

But at least in ConTeXt LMTX, there are only the agr patterns left, and
lang-def.mkxl contains:

"""
% Greek

\installlanguage
   [\s!gr]
   [\c!spacing=\v!packed,
    \c!leftsentence=\emdash,
    \c!rightsentence=\emdash,
    \c!leftsubsentence=\emdash,
    \c!rightsubsentence=\emdash,
    \c!leftquote=“,
    \c!rightquote=”,
    \c!leftquotation=«,
    \c!rightquotation=»,
    \c!date={\v!day\space\v!month\space\v!year},
    \s!patterns=\s!agr] % ok?

\installlanguage [\s!greek] [\s!gr]

\installlanguage
   [\s!agr]
   [\s!default=\s!gr,
    \c!leftquote=\upperleftsinglesixquote,
    \c!rightquote=\upperrightsingleninequote,
    \c!leftquotation=\upperleftdoublesixquote,
    \c!rightquotation=\upperrightdoubleninequote]

\installlanguage [\s!ancientgreek] [\s!agr]
"""

So it seems that is wrong / incomplete.

AFAI understand, "el" should be modern greek (post 1982, monotonic),
"grc" Ancient and Medieval Greek (polytonic), and "el-polytonic" should
cover 1453–1982.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_orthography

Hraban