[NTG-context] Improving pandoc's ConTeXt output

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Mon Jun 6 22:47:18 CEST 2022

Am 05.06.22 um 16:30 schrieb Albert Krewinkel via ntg-context:

>> \startparagraph can lead to unwanted side effects (I can't remember the details)
>> and \bpar ... \epar is the safer alternative to add tags.
>
> Thank you Wolfgang, I wasn't aware! Searching the wiki brought me to
> <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Epub_Sample>. It states:
>
>> In places where \startparagraph does not work, such as itemizations,
>> where it causes a blank line after the bullet and before the item
>> text, use \bpar (and closing \epar) to tag paragraphs.
>
> It's probably more consistent then to use \bpar ... \epar everywhere.

If I understood Hans right, \start/stopparagraph is not necessary any
more to get properly tagged XML. I didn’t check it yet myself – my
DOCX-to-ConTeXt converter still produces this markup.

One case where it’s probably in the way is if you need settings like
\looseness – before \startparagraph is too early, and after it is too
late (in LMTX), you need \updateparagraphproperties in such cases, but
you can possible avoid that without \startparagraph – need to check...

Hraban