[NTG-context] Improving pandoc's ConTeXt output

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 5 12:01:54 CEST 2022

On 6/5/2022 9:07 AM, Albert Krewinkel via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently trying to improve the ConTeXt output generated by pandoc,
> the document convert. There are two questions that we haven't decided
> on, and I'd be grateful to receive some feedback from ConTeXt experts on
> these issues:
>
> 1. As far as I understand, the `\section` syntax currently produced by
>     pandoc should be considered mkii legacy syntax. We're likely going to
>     switch to the modern `\startsection`/`\stopsection` syntax instead.
>     Are there any concerns about retiring the old syntax?
>     (Side note: pandoc already produces the new syntax, but only when
>     called with `--section-divs`.)

We keep compatibility as much as possible although there are of course
exceptions (like: we don't need font encodings in mkiv and we hav
eopentype fonts there). So it si quit elikely that these commands will
stay forever.

> 2. Similarly, I'd like to start wrapping paragraphs with
>     `\startparagraph`/`\stopparagraph`. It is important for me to get
>     properly tagged PDF, but this would also make the output more
>     verbose. Is that something that you would find bothering, or do you
>     see adding the extra environment by default as an acceptable
>     practice?

I assume not that many users see (or manipulate) the output so it is
harmless.