[NTG-context] Setting up zint on a mac with macOS Montery Version 12.3.1

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue May 31 03:51:27 CEST 2022

On Tue, 31 May 2022, Michal Vlasák via ntg-context wrote:

> On Mon May 30, 2022 at 8:19 PM CEST, Jan-Erik Hägglöf via ntg-context wrote:
> > With latest LMTX installed on my Monterey intel MacBook Air and Zint version 2.11
> >
> > optional        > using library '/Users/janneman/CTX/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/lib/luametatex/zint/libzint.so'
> > zint            > something went wrong: invalid result vector
> > zint            > something went wrong: invalid result vector
> > zint            > something went wrong: invalid result vector
> > …
>
> Luametatex is still built against zint 2.10, which is on the binary
> level incompatible with 2.11, so you should try 2.10 in the meantime.
>
> Ultimately there are three possibilities for the long run:
>
> 1) Everyone sticks with 2.10 (which may be problematic since binaries
> for this "old" version may gradually cease to be available).
>
> 2) Hans updates luametatex to zint 2.11, which would mean that a lot of
> people would need to update their zint installations now (and possibly
> in the future for every update). This is what was done last time with
> the update to 2.10.
>
> 3) luametatex gains compatibility with 2.10 *and* 2.11.
>
> Not sure what is the best way to proceed, since 3) is the messiest
> implementation wise, but nicest for the users.

Another option is to call the binary via the filter module. Here is an example which uses the `barcode` binary. It should be easy to adapt this to call `zint`.

https://github.com/adityam/filter/blob/dev/tests/13-filtersetup.tex

The filter module caches the result, so the overhead of calling a binary instead of a library will be negligible.

Aditya