[NTG-context] How to add margin around standalone MetaPost?

Vincent Hennebert vhennebert at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:22:41 CEST 2022

On Sat, 2022-05-21 at 07:39 +0530, śrīrāma wrote:
> On 5/20/22 10:26 PM Vincent Hennebert via ntg-context wrote:
> > Take the following MetaPost file:
> >
> > beginfig(0)
> >   ahlength := 20;
> >   linejoin := mitered;
> >   drawarrow origin--(40,0) withpen pencircle scaled 5;
> > endfig;
> >
> > Render it into PDF with ConTeXt. Witness the cut out ends of the
> > arrow.
> > How to fix that?
> >
> > Being able to add some margin would be a solution, which may be
> > desirable anyway in some cases. Is that possible?
>
> Enlarge the bounds of your picture –
>
>   beginfig(0);
>     ahlength := 20;
>     linejoin := mitered;
>     drawarrow origin--(40,0) withpen pencircle scaled 5;
>
>     setbounds currentpicture to boundingbox currentpicture enlarged
> 5mm;
>   endfig;

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

(I did find out about \startMPpage[offset=3pt], but that requires me to
include my MetaPost file into an additional, somewhat superfluous TeX
file. And for better editor support I prefer to edit the MetaPost in a
.mp file, rather than embedded in a .tex.)

Vincent