[NTG-context] ConTeXt meeting 2023(!)

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Thu May 19 09:25:04 CEST 2022

Am 19.05.22 um 00:22 schrieb bruce at scorecrow.com:

>> On 17 May 2022, at 07:49, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Would that make a difference for you?
>
> Seven days is a big time commitment, unless you are a major user of ConTeXt. Is there a possibility to split it up into "professional" during the week and "hobbyist" over the weekend so people could come for just the weekend, or the whole week?

For most of us it *is* a hobby and the meeting kind of holidays.

IMO meeting over the whole week is a big part of the appeal, otherwise
we couldn’t fit all the interesting stuff into the schedule and the
personal interaction also would fall short.

I remember we had a similar split when we combined with EuroTeX. I was
new to the community at that time, and I found the sudden influx of
people over the weekend very confusing. YMMV

It was always possible to register and come for just some days.
We discourage it, since it disturbs the community experience, pickup is
additional effort, and we often must pay the venue for the whole week
(it depends).

In 2022 the weekend would mean: maybe a talk or two on Friday, CG
members meeting on Saturday morning, excursion for the rest of the day
and nothing but departure on Sunday. In other years we met e.g. from
Sunday to Saturday, and on the first day we are busy arriving and
setting up.

BTW it looks like Jano will host us in Sibřina again in September of
2023. And we’re discussing “uncharted territory” for 2024.

Hraban