[NTG-context] Can I just put a footnote without marking in the main text?

Zhichu Chen chenzhichu at zjlab.org.cn
Wed May 18 07:55:23 CEST 2022

Hi everybody,

After some attempts to put footnotes in a mixed 1&2 columns layout, I
decide to put marks in the one-column environment and flush them when
entering the two-column environment.

The code is ugly but the result is acceptable. Except that the invisible
footnote marks do generate something in the main text, so there's a
blank line for each footnote.

Here's an MWE:

\definenote[address]
\setupnote[address][rule=off,location=text]

\definenote[putjustmark]
\setupnote[putjustmark][location=none]
\setupnotation[putjustmark][numberconversion=set 2]

\definenote[putjustnote]%[footnote] % if footnotes need to be grouped,
uncomment the second argument and the line after \the\titlefootnotes
\setupnote[putjustnote][textcommand=\gobbleoneargument]
\setupnotation[putjustnote][numberconversion=set 2]

\newtoks\titlefootnotes

\def\thanks#1{\putjustmark{#1}\appendtoks \putjustnote{#1} \to
\titlefootnotes}
\def\email#1{\putjustmark{#1}\appendtoks \putjustnote{#1} \to
\titlefootnotes}

\appendtoks
   \setcounter[footnote][0] % this looks stupid because it has no effect
   %\setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=numerals]
\to \titlefootnotes

\definenamespace
    [addr]
    [type=module,
     name=address,
     command=yes,
     setup=list,
     parent=addr,
   ]

\define[1]\useaddress
     {\setnotetext[address][#1]{\namedaddressparameter{#1}{name}}}

\starttext

\defineaddress[fst][name={Name of Institute or Affiliation, City, Country}]
\defineaddress[snd][name={Name of Secondary Institute or Affiliation,
City, Country}]

\processcommacommand[fst,snd]\useaddress

The Title\thanks{Work supported by somebody.}

Me\email{myemail at some.where}\high{,}\note[address][fst]\high{,}\note[address][snd]

\placenotes[address]

\blank[medium]

\startcolumns

\the\titlefootnotes

%\setcounter[footnote][0] % why it's necessary to set the counter
outside the token if I define [putjustnote] as [footnote]?

test\footnote{test}

\input knuth

\stopcolumns