[NTG-context] Citeproc-lua

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat May 7 01:15:23 CEST 2022

On 5/7/2022 12:33 AM, denis.maier at unibe.ch wrote:
>> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

A bibliography is just about (cross) referencing data. If that data
comes from elsewhere it can best kept indepdendent. One can of course
store some reference but why the data if it is not used in some special
way.

> Of course you could have another file (just like a bib file
>> is independent). One problem could be that you need to make some extra
>> installation to make it work as we're not going to add all kind of code to the
>> distribution (we tend to go smaller) and someone needs to maintain that
>> moduie then because users depend in it working.
>>
>> Did you look into what pandoc provides? It might be easier to take that
>> output and include it. Some kind of html? That's easy to render.
>
> Pandoc can output context as well, so we can just take that.

Sure, but some parseble format might be better if one wants control over
rendering. Basically we're talking about some pseudo formatted
bibliography entry with some unique tag as reference.

> Using the whole bibliography might give problems with regards to disambiguation.

In what sense? Aren't the 'tags' or id's unique? Anyway, one can

- let \cite write some refe to soem file
- that file gets pandoc'd to a bibliography list
- that then gets included

if that list is in some parsable format (like html width classes) we can
easily pick up info (if needed) and do nmore

> So, that would work a bit like Aditya's filter module: https://github.com/adityam/filter
> Right?

sort of

> Another option would be to just use pandoc's citeproc directly, as described here: https://github.com/jgm/citeproc/blob/master/man/citeproc.1.md
>
> We'd have to pass a list of citations as a JSON object to that citeproc and use the results.
> The results will include citations as well as the bibliography (all as JSON, content can be HTML formatted).
we can handle json indeed, so hwo does such a json look like? can you
make an example?