[NTG-context] Setting up zint on a mac with macOS Montery Version 12.3.1

Keith McKay mckaymeister at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:49:30 CEST 2022

Hi All

I have been struggling today trying to setup and use the Barcode module
zint in ConTeXt and failed. I have followed the instructions on the wiki
( https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Barcodes ) but with some changes as
follows. Which maybe why I failed.

1) I downloaded Zint using Homebrew since I'm using macOS, and installed
it according to the instructions.

2) Since I'm using LMTX I looked for the file libzint.dylib and found it
in /opt/homebrew/Cellar/zint/2.10.0/lib . This is different from the
path given on the wiki. The directory contained three files, two of
which were aliases,  libzint.2.10.dylib and libzint.dylib, and an exe
file libzint.2.10.0.0.dylib

3) I created the path $TEXROOT/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/lib/luametatex/zint
and copied libzint.2.10.0.0.dylib into but replaced dylib with 'so' as
suggested on the wiki instructions. So I basically added
lib/luametatex/zint to texmf-osx-64/bin .

4) I ran mtxrun --generate to update the database.

5) I ran the MWE below but no barcode appeared. The console output shows:

/modules > using user prefixed file 'libs-imp-zint'/

//

/modules > 'zint' is loaded/

however further down the output it gives:

/optional > unable to locate library 'libzint'/

//

I have tried renaming libzint2.10.0.0.so to libzint.so, but still no
barcode. Is their something I am missing? Tips or hints appreciated.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

\usemodule[zint]

\starttext

\barcode[alternative=isbn,text=9783865419026,width=4cm]

\barcode[alternative=isbnx, text=9783865419026, width=4cm]

\barcode[alternative=qrcode, text={https://wiki.contextgarden.net},
width=3cm]