[NTG-context] Trying to get a simple bibliography

denis.maier at unibe.ch denis.maier at unibe.ch
Sat Mar 26 16:42:35 CET 2022

I think you've done that already ...

Von: ntg-context <ntg-context-bounces at ntg.nl> im Auftrag von Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl>
Gesendet: Samstag, 26. März 2022 16:37:03
An: mailing list for ConTeXt users
Cc: Thomas A. Schmitz
Betreff: Re: [NTG-context] Trying to get a simple bibliography

Hi Amine,

The bibliography subsystem is rather complex, and Alan, who has worked with Hans on support for APS and APA, wants to do things the right way, which means he wants to code for all corner cases. From my own experience: it is difficult to just copy and modify the existing publ-imp-XXX files; they define a number of clever macros that allow code reuse and consistency, but are not the most straightforward way for a non-programmer (like myself) to proceed. I have found it easier to start from scratch by writing my own publ-imp-custom.{mkiv,lua} files and then add whatever I need, one entry type at a time. That also allows you to understand the ways in which the system works. But of course, it’s less convenient than just changing APA to MLA, as you can in biblatex. ConTeXt has a much smaller user base, so we take somewhat longer. Maybe I should add a wiki article on a basic way to start one’s own custom definitions...

Best

Thomas