[NTG-context] Trying to get a simple bibliography

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sat Mar 26 16:37:03 CET 2022

Hi Amine,

The bibliography subsystem is rather complex, and Alan, who has worked with Hans on support for APS and APA, wants to do things the right way, which means he wants to code for all corner cases. From my own experience: it is difficult to just copy and modify the existing publ-imp-XXX files; they define a number of clever macros that allow code reuse and consistency, but are not the most straightforward way for a non-programmer (like myself) to proceed. I have found it easier to start from scratch by writing my own publ-imp-custom.{mkiv,lua} files and then add whatever I need, one entry type at a time. That also allows you to understand the ways in which the system works. But of course, it’s less convenient than just changing APA to MLA, as you can in biblatex. ConTeXt has a much smaller user base, so we take somewhat longer. Maybe I should add a wiki article on a basic way to start one’s own custom definitions...

Best

Thomas